Sunday, May 22, 2011

Story Patch App

Learning how to use the iPad and navigate through different apps has certainly been an adventure. I originally assumed that the iPad would be very easy for me to explore and figure out. During my explorations, I have come to realize that there are certain tasks on the iPad that are very intuitive for me while others are not.

After playing around with several different apps I decided to take a more in depth look at StoryPatch. It is an app that allows children to create stories in a variety of ways. Below are several options that kids can take in order to create a story.
  1. Write your words and use your own photos: This option gives the most freedom for children to create a more personalized story.
  2. Write your own words and choose from a wide variety of images in the gallery. This is a fun and easy way to add simple illustrations to your story. A child can experiment with different ideas and manipulate the size and placement of the images. The only drawback is that you are limited to the selection in the gallery.
  3. Choose from a set of topics and the app writes a story for you. In this option, your main focus is to play around with creating illustrations.
I like the idea that kids can write a story but I am not convinced that this app offers a better experience than that provided by simply using pencil and paper. On the other hand, I do see the potential for children to play around with quickly creating a story in a fun and easy way.

1 comment:

  1. I also wish this app had an audio component for kids to narrate or a way for them to hand write their own story. (maybe there's already an app like that)

    ReplyDelete